There has always been a fascination for the pigeon gun. This was borne out of seeking an advantage against your competitors at live pigeon shooting – usually their was a lot of money at stake!
To shoot fast and get a good sight picture, a broad, higher than normal matted flat top rib was the order of the day. This enabled the shooter to shoot high, as the bird was always rising out of the trap. Of course to guarantee a kill within the perimeter fence, full choke would often be used.
Bigger cartridges and more pellets meant 2 3/4″ or 3″ heavy loads were used. To make the gun strong enough, sideclips and a third grip were required on the action. With all this came the need for more weight. You can expect a side by side pigeon gun to be in excess of 7 1/4lb to give a stable platform for the shooter.
Nowadays, the pigeon gun has seen a resurgence as a high bird gun. They share the same characteristics in the field, but the pigeon gun has developed into being more than just a heavy breeched, heavy load gun. Today’s pigeon gun has to have a certain style.
When we are commissioned to build a pigeon gun, we are expecting the client to want:
- 30″ barrels minimum; high, broad, flat top matted rib, 3/4 or full choke. Third grip and clips on a larger action. Single or double trigger
- Stock to be pistol grip with long beavertail forend and probably adorned with heel and toe pieces. Some are auto safety, and are generally carved breechends with heavy engraving.
Complemented with a deluxe case with canvas outer.
Priced at £60,000
The High Pheasant Lefthand Opening Gun
Lefthand roundbody gun.
32″ barrels, 3″ chambers, multi choke and stocked to 15 1/2″.
Finished weight 8lbs.
Watson Bros designed 4 Bore Sidelock Ejector
This is the only correctly proportioned four bore being manufactured in England today.
Made in our Tower Bridge workshop, and designed by Michael Louca.
- Barrel lengths generally 36″ to 42″
- Weight is from 17lb to 20lb depending on the cartridge weight which can be 3 to 4 ounces
- Double trigger or single trigger
- Pistol grip is advised
- Exhibition grade wood
- Stocked to your measurements
- Engraving is included, from one of our many patterns
Guncase is an extra cost, dependant on the type of case required.
All for the sum of £75,000 plus taxes.
Watson Bros designed 12 Bore Hammergun
Designed and made in our Tower Bridge workshop
A hammer ejector non self opening pigeon gun
30″ barrels with 30″ Damascus extra barrels.
Beavertail forend , pistol grip
Cased in an oak and leather.
Watson Bros designed 20 Bore
A 20 bore side by side roundbody, made in our Tower Bridge worskhop.
30″ barrels, double trigger and heavily adorned with oak leaves .
Sold cased with accessories.